Back to Main Website
Home /
Planned Giving
Text Resize
Print This
Email This
Calculate Plan
Contact Us
View Video

Gifts of Stocks and Bonds

Donating appreciated securities, including stocks or bonds, is an easy and tax-effective way for you to make a gift to University Of South Alabama.

Gift of Stock and Bonds
Charity image

Benefits of gifts of stocks and bonds

  • Avoid paying capital gains tax on the sale of appreciated stock
  • Receive a charitable income tax deduction
  • Further our mission today

How to make a gift of stocks and bonds

By electronic transfer - Please contact us for instructions on how you can transfer stock or bonds from your brokerage or investment account to University Of South Alabama.

By certified mail - If you hold securities in certificate form, you will need to mail two envelopes separately to complete your gift. In the first envelope, place the unsigned stock certificate(s). In the other envelope, include a signed stock power for each certificate. You may obtain this power from your broker or bank. Please remember to use certified mail.

More on gifts of stocks and bonds

There are special rules for valuing a gift of stock. The value of a charitable gift of stock is determined by taking the mean between the high and low stock price on the date of the gift. Mutual fund shares are valued using the closing price for the fund on the date of the gift.

Contact us

Thank you for considering a gift or charitable contribution made via stock transfer. For gifts or charitable contributions made via stock transfer, please contact in advance the USA Office of Advancement Services at with donor name, name of the stock, amount of shares, and benefiting fund. This will ensure that donors are properly credited and receipted for their gifts and ensure that the proper USA fund benefits from the gift.

Receiving account title: University of South Alabama
Receiving account number: 8370-1478
Name of receiving institution: Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
DTC Number: 0164ww

Name: University of South Alabama and USA Health System (includes Children and Women's Hospital, University Hospital, and USA Physicians Group)
EIN/Tax ID: 63-0477348
Name: USA National Alumni Association
EIN/Tax ID: 63-0695653

Learn more on Ways to Give through stock.

Jacob Crane
USA Development and Alumni Relations
Phone: (251) 414-8118

Print This
Email This
Calculate Plan
Contact Us
View Video